Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
Resilient channel help

Looking into ceiling resilient channels for 2 layers of drywall 5/8"s. Does anyone know where I can get RC-2 channels, which is basically a more sturdy RC-1 Channel but both sides fastening to frami...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post February 15, 2017
Sewage smell still lingers after pipe replacement

How long before the smell leaves a house? Had some pipe replaced two days ago under our house in our crawl space. The smell seems to have faded in one area but now stronger in another. We expected the smell...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post February 16, 2017
Oakville renovation project

Evening folks, I have a 900sq bungalow in Oakville, Ontario, looking to renovate, go up a story, adding bedrooms above and creating an open plan concept on the ground floor. Essentially t...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post February 15, 2017
Part time handyman services

A housing complex with approx. 117 units. Looking to contract a handyman for approx. 20 hours a week at $40 000 a year. Odd end jobs, completing work orders, parts are paid for as needed (...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post February 14, 2017
Cost of new build

We have an older house in Toronto which requires important renos and one option we're exploring is a full tear-down and complete rebuild from scratch. We have seen this new property (link below) whi...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post February 15, 2017
How much time is needed to seal aluminum windows of a three floor apartment building that is about 45 years young?

We live in a three floor apartment building. We have aluminum windows from the early 1970's that show drainage stains on the stucco below. We need to seal the windows so no water goes into the interior ...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post February 19, 2017
Spacing for recessed lighting in a basement

What is the recommended spacing for recessed lighting in a basement? Planning on 4 inch LED lights (450 lumens). The ceiling to floor measurement is 7ft 10in....

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post February 13, 2017
Hardwood flooring 101

I am looking to add hardwood floor to one bedroom. (105 sq fee). I am trying to understand hardwood floor options. What are the different type of option and price range? I see Lowes has a sale n...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post February 14, 2017
Adding attached garage with room above

Hi there, From the KW area, have an older home (50s/60s build). I am currently looking at adding a garage to the side of the house with a new bedroom above. Roughly 220sqft. Ive trie...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post February 11, 2017
Basement egress window

Hi There, I have question regarding egress window for basement apartment. I have seen maximum sill height require for basement egress window for nation wide is 44" and for Ontario need 39". Is it...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post February 12, 2017
Estimated cost of a wire for a hot tub

We need an electrical wire from our panel box located at the front of our new home to the hot tub at the back of our house. The wiring would be a dedicated line for the hot tub only. Our hot tub runs on both ...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post February 9, 2017
Contractor Demanding More Money

I hired a contractor for a fairly large reno project. Soon after the work started, I asked for the project to be delayed due to a family emergency. The family emergency required a short but significant fin...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post February 10, 2017
Rough cost of extending the size of an enclosed porch. Thoughts on add-ons for budgets?

Currently, we have an enclosed porch/room at the back of our house. It is approximately 4 x 10 feet in size, with a solid foundation, good roof, okay insulation and it has a light fixture &#...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post February 9, 2017
Industry standards for pricing

I recently started my own project management/consulting company for commerical office interor only (not a contractor). for one of my clients i have been tasked with creating a high level budget for ...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post February 8, 2017
Rough cost for refinishing parquet flooring

I'm wondering how much it would cost approximately to have around 300 square feet of parquet sanded/refinished. A few of the pieces would need to be replaced. I am wondering the cost for keeping the...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post February 7, 2017
Rear addition with crawlspace

Hi, I am considering adding an addition to the back of my house to increase the size of the kitchen and eating area. While this project is a few years out I would like to set some goal posts to aim for c...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post February 7, 2017
Paying for a job that is unfinished

We hired a contractor to complete a small bathroom and he only completed ½ the job. He then had to be at another job so he packed up and left. The bathroom is still not completed and he is asking for payment bu...

Number of Responses 11 Date of Last Post February 10, 2017
Comfortboard vs rigid foam insulation

I am looking to finish my basement and question about insulation. Is there a difference between using Roxul comfortboard vs 2" rigid foam insulation between the concrete wall and the studs? Seems to ...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post February 6, 2017
Rough cost for framing

Any rough idea of cost to frame/sheet this alpine 1 model from Lindwood homes. There are many similar models also from beaver homes. This is the style we are thinking of building. 1300 main floor 1800 l...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post February 5, 2017
Foundation depth/cost in Hamilton

Looking for some advice on a new home foundation in millgrove area with high rock table. Foundation will be 1800sqft, we prefer the idea of slab on grade to save on costs. How deep does a slab on grade fou...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post February 6, 2017
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x