Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
Is this shower tile grout ok?

Had some recent bathroom renos done. Noticing some imperfections in the tile grout. Can anyone please provide feedback on whether or not this is ok? I see some small cracks and holes and am concerned about ...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post March 5, 2017
House renovation cost

I am looking at renovating my home which is a total of 2000 sq ft. We would be ripping up old hardwood and laying laminate down. We would be recreating our master ensuite and then new vanities and floor tiles ...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post March 5, 2017
How much would something like this cost?

I found this picture on TrustedPros and may be interested in a similar project but would first like to know what the estimated cost would be....

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post March 4, 2017
Seeking opinion on some recent HVAC work

Contract was to include pulling an HVAC permit. Contractor has been paid 50% and now wants the remainder before pulling a permit or the work being inspected. This was never discussed or agreed and I would...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post March 3, 2017
Prepaid contractors license (Alberta)

I am going to build a spec duplex. Do I need a prepaid contractors license to pre-sell these units?...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post March 3, 2017
Concrete deck

How much would a concrete deck (patio) cost per square foot? I would be about 4 feet above ground and about 15' x 38'. Thanks...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post March 3, 2017
Current water leakage with ''odd'' cause - (detailed introduction)

Hello everyone sorry for the Vague Title. Currently having problems after just getting new flooring laid down throughout the first floor (literally the day after it was finished). We put in a new Lin...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post March 3, 2017
Sound proof a condo from Montreal

Hello, We are trying to find a very efficient solution to soundproof (impact noise) between the first floor and the second floor. Since both neighbors agree to do this job, we have access to ...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post March 3, 2017
Ceiling drywall or ultralight drywall

For ceiling in basement do you need the ceiling drywall to eliminate sag or is regular ultralight drywall ok? Jeff...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post March 3, 2017
Oak stair treads

I have removed carpet from my stairs. I am installing custom made treads from patterns of existing treads and risers. I have fit and pre-finished the treads. I can not get behind the stairs and I do not want to...

Number of Responses 8 Date of Last Post March 3, 2017
Egress window required for guest room in a walkout basement?

Hi, I'm wondering if I need to add an egress window in a basement guest room. My basement is a walkout and the walkout door will be 15 feet from the proposed bedroom door. I live in Ottawa, ON...

Number of Responses 10 Date of Last Post March 3, 2017
How much should I expect to make for a typical bathroom renovation?

Having recently just opened my small renovation business, I'm curious if I were to take on a bathroom renovation that's say 6x9 new floor, drywall, tub, vanity, toilet, tile tub ...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post March 1, 2017
Cost for removing tile in standard shower/tub and replacing with laminate

I am open to other types of covers to replace where the tiles are presently. Only looking for cost....

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post March 4, 2017
Cost to build a double attached garage

How much to build an attached double garage with brick exterior?...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post February 28, 2017
Rough estimate for simple bathroom reno?

I'm looking to redo my upstairs bathroom and I'm trying to get an idea how much it's going to cost not including supplies. It's roughly 70 x 90 in. We're not planning on moving any plumbing&...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post February 27, 2017
Polystain

Can I mix polyurethane and stain together to get a polystain?...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post February 27, 2017
Ceiling redone

I own a Condo, I would like to reduce the noise from the neighbours above. My thoughts were to remove the ceiling put Roxul Safe/sound insulation and attach drywall ceiling with resilient channels. My r...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post February 27, 2017
Rough estimates

Hi guys, I just want to know how much it would cost to tear down an old house, dig and built a new foundation, then build a new two story detached house? Appreciate your response. Thanks...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post March 1, 2017
Clients who want to pay cash?

Recently we have more clients who want to pay cash to save on HST. For a variety of reasons, this is not something we are willing to do, both to protect ourselves and our clients. I am curious about oth...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post February 27, 2017
What's the cost to complete this unfinished carport?

Hi, So I bought a house with an unfinished carport (sellers didn't finish it due to winter). It has the proper permit. The walls, roof, windows and door (leading to backyard)...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post February 27, 2017
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x