Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
Costing of an elevated free-standing deck

I am considering having a deck built - an elevated free-standing 'flush beam deck' that would start 1" away from the fronting on the existing long, narrow deck. The existing deck is supported...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post July 26, 2016
Finishing basement walls

I was reading about whether or not Tyvek should be put against a concrete basement wall before the batt insulation goes in, and I'm seeing contradictory things. On the company's website it says Tyve...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post July 24, 2016
Curing concrete deck footings

My deck footings (8" tubes) were poured yesterday morning and I wasn't able to get home to check on the curing for about 10 hours after. When I got home, all the concrete seemed to be "...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post July 23, 2016
Cost of deck on 2nd floor level

Hi, Please provide a compete cost for a 2nd level deck, with railings, privacy screens, stairs to lower level. Options: Materials: PT wood, cedar, composite Railing...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post August 11, 2016
Cost to turn deck into living space

I want to convert my deck into an all seasoned living space. How much would that cost in Vaughan, ON?...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post July 23, 2016
How much would a basement like this cost?

I found this picture on TrustedPros and may be interested in a similar project but would first like to know what the estimated cost would be....

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post July 22, 2016
Mounting 3 ceiling fan lights on 11ft. concrete ceilings

Mounting 3 ceiling fan lights on 11ft. concrete ceilings in condo. One room has a box for a pre-existing light tied to a wall switch, other two rooms have a wall-switch tied to a wall sconce that will be r...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post July 21, 2016
Cost to dig and fill footings for shed

Hello, I'm planning to build a storage shed 12-ft x 6-ft in the backyard. How much will it cost to dig 6 holes, I guess, at least 8" wide, with sono tube filled with concrete wit...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post July 21, 2016
What throw pillows match with this rug?

I need help matching some pillows to my rug. The majority of my house is very grey, so I wanted to add some colour to the living room. I need help figuring out what pillows I could put on my sectional! ...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post September 22, 2021
Creaky laminate flooring

We purchased a floor last year and a new laminate floor had just been installed. One year later and the floor creaks with each step. I am assuming this is not correct. Is it a big issue to rectify? Is it...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post July 21, 2016
Should I have expected my eves troughs to be damaged during roof replacement?

Should I have expected my eves troughs to be damaged during roof replacement? When I got quotes, and let the context there was no mention of potential damage to my eves troughs and soffits, now the...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post July 24, 2016
Cost to enclose a carport

I am wanting to enclose my carport that is connected to the house with bedrooms above. The carport area that will be enclosed is 11 1/2 wide and 22 feet long. What can I expect to pay for this? Includ...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post July 19, 2016
Cost for carpet installation

If I already have a carpet and underpad I want installed how much would just the installation cost per sqft? Also, if I have a straight, half enclosed carpeted staircase how much would it cost...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post December 3, 2017
Cost to build garage

What is a ball park estimate of constructing a detached 2 car garage at the back of the house in Burlington,Ontario? Thank you in advance....

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post July 19, 2016
In Quebec, is it obligatory to have a tag on a gas furnace replacement?

My friend help me replace my furnace at home, he has gas license, but can't tag the job. Is it mandatory in Quebec to tag it even if I'm replacing the furnace? Will it affect my insuranc...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post July 19, 2016
What would the cost be to remove a chimney?

What would the cost be to remove a chimney from the roof all the way to the basement?...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post July 18, 2016
Cost for adding an extension

Hi there, I live in a side split and I want to add an extension off the side. What I want is a two story with the bottom being a garage and maybe a mud room leading into the house and the top having two ...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post July 18, 2016
Shingle replacement in Edmonton

How much would the cost of materials be to replace the shingles of a 1300 sq ft house and 600 sq ft garage in Edmonton?...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post July 20, 2016
Vinyl vs laminate flooring

We are looking to replace the flooring in our older home and are debating between "Wood look" vinyl or laminate. We have heard good things about both but like the idea of being able to loose lay th...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post July 18, 2016
Kitchen cabinet updating

What is the best way to change the colour of these dark kitchen cabinets into a more modern look of cloud white for example?...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post July 15, 2016
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x