Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
Need advice on replacing a window with french doors

We have shifted our bedroom and is going to use the old bedroom as the dining room with a french door. We need to replace the windows there. It’s approximately 6 ft wide. Can any one give advise on replacing th...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post July 15, 2016
Replace rotting OSB: whole board or rotted portion?

Some of our OSB board walls (unfinished/non-insulated) in our garage have some mold/rot at the bottom due to some previous water ingress. Are we best to cut out the mold/rot portion (ap...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post July 13, 2016
Cost to build a spec house in Surrey

I would like to get a rough estimate of how much it would cost to build a spec 2 level house with full basement on 55 x 115 lot. Living space on 2 floors apprx 2800 sf and basement apprx 1300....

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post July 12, 2016
Electrical permit in Vancouver

How long does it take to get a commercial electrical permit in downtown Vancouver? Installing data and electrical receptacles only and perhaps some pendant lighting in a retail location....

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post July 12, 2016
Cost per sq' to build a mid-range house in the central Vancouver Island area of BC?

Cost, per sq', to build an approximate 2500 sq' house in the central Vancouver Island region of B.C.? Have the lot. Only looking for estimate at this time. ...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post July 12, 2016
Blueskin for roof

Is blueskin suitable for flat roof?...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post July 13, 2016
Job pricing on finishing work

Hey everyone, Just joined up and I'm kinda disappointed in myself for not finding this site sooner. Anyways my question is about job pricing. See, my main focus has always been cabinetry but I...

Costs for 400 sq ft addition, with garage below, in Calgary

I am looking for a rough cost estimate to do a 400 square foot extension to a 1950s bungalow. The addition would extend the existing living room, as well as include a bedroom. Instead of a basement, I w...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post July 12, 2016
How much would a basement like this cost?

I found this picture on TrustedPros and may be interested in a similar project but would first like to know what the estimated cost would be....

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post July 12, 2016
Matching existing hardwood

Our main floor is a mixture of a majority of hardwood, (cherry), and carpet. We would like to remove the carpet and go for complete hardwood. Flooring is 10 years old, so has age related...

How much for an external staircase build?

I am looking to have an external staircase / separate entrance / fire escape type thing built on the outside of our century home - up to the third floor attic apartment. Right now there is a window - bu...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post July 11, 2016
Metal strip between flooring

Can I hire a Rona employee to install a metal strip in my kitchen that goes between my hardwood and kitchen tile?...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post July 11, 2016
Insulation

For a house roughly 8 years old, finishing the basement, would contractor replace the existing blanket insulation which is top half of basement wall? Would they insulate the bottom?...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post July 11, 2016
Management fees

Can a General Contractor do the work, collect a wage, and a management fee on his work?...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post July 11, 2016
Install support for basement window

What is the process of installing support for basement window?...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post July 10, 2016
Covered patio and stamped slab

We are trying to get a sense of the cost for adding a covered patio to our house as well as a 20 ft x 16 ft stamepd concrete pad. There will be some demolition work, but we are looking to get an idea for t...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post July 10, 2016
Cost of roofing material

How much would the cost of material be to reshingle a 1237 sq ft bungalow and 2 single car door garage in Edmonton, AB?...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post July 9, 2016
Vapor barrier advice

My carpenters installed a metal bulkhead to box in some plumbing. My question is, how can I effectively install a vapor barrier here? I was able to insulate behind the bulkhead, but now the top pl...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post July 10, 2016
Range hood chimney height for 6'10" ceiling

I need to install an island mount range hood for a ceiling that is only 6'10". I'm wondering how much it is possible to shorten a chimney so that there is 25-28 inches of clearance between the stove...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post July 7, 2016
Taping quote

Hi to all. So I'm a taper doing piecework for small company and I got offer for big job; 66000sqft just walls approx 20' tall, t bar goes on ceilings. So as I never worked for myself I don't ...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post September 25, 2016
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x