Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
Basement foundation movement

I have a situation where a telepost is pushing up on a floor beam at the inside corner of an L-shaped stair to the basement. This has caused the wall which is supported by the beam to penetrate the ceiling plan...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post August 2, 2016
How much would it cost to refinish kitchen cabinets?

I would like have my kitchen cupboard refinished from their original golden oak color to white. Approx 15 doors and 4 drawers. Only looking for cost at this time. Thank you...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post August 6, 2016
Cost for garage construction

Please provide the approximate cost to provide plans, permits and build a 22' wide X 25' deep garage on a concrete pad with a 10' wide X 9' high drive in wood door. 1 man door 3' wide. 2...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post August 1, 2016
Cost for kitchen renovation

I am planning a kitchen renovation and I want to know a proximate labor cost for: 1) kitchen cabinet removal: 7 wall cabinets, 5 base cabinets and ceramic tile counter-top. 2) remove and...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post August 2, 2016
Building a mezzanine

I have a 40' x 60' shop. I am thinking about building a mezzanine for extra storage along one of the walls. It would be around 30' long by 8' wide. Would 2x6 for the joist and load wall work?...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post July 29, 2016
Cost for eavestrough clearing

What would be the price to clear all our eaves troughs of debris, leaves and pine needles and thinning about 2 metres of a Japanese maple along the centre section of the garage trough? The troughs are o...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post July 29, 2016
Quote to build built in cabinet kitchen

I would like to have a built in cabinet. I have the doors. I have a kitchen wall that is approximately six feet long, standard depth. I would like a coffee counter, needs electricity microwave above n...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post August 2, 2016
Big painting project

Hey guys, I am in need of some expertise in quote giving. I am doing a big project that involves painting the hallways of 5 apartment building that are 4 stories each including the stairwells. The square...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post July 29, 2016
Paid a design deposit but he won't give me the designs I paid for

I decided I want a new kitchen. I paid a kitchen designer a design deposit. I gave him a budget and his design is very nice, but way over my budget. I didn't sign anything. I have no invoice. I just w...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post July 28, 2016
3 story addition - estimated costs

Our home in Scarborough is a detached 2 story brick home. The home is 20' wide x 30' long Large lot. 40' x 170' A finished basement. We would like to build a 3 story addition on the back and ...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post July 30, 2016
Cracked granite on island

We recently had a new house built including granite countertops. The island countertop has cracked twice now. They are not finished repairing the first crack and it cracked in a different spot last night. We...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post July 28, 2016
Cost to replace an oil furnace?

How much to replace an Oil furnace with a high efficiency gas furnace in a 1400 sq ft home? Including the removal of the old furnace and oil tank. Pricing in the Ottawa area....

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post July 28, 2016
Cost to paint a 6000 sqrt house?

How much it would cost to paint a 6000 sqrt house (including basement) just the interior? It is a renovation of a old house, would have some modifications of the old structure, some new ...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post July 28, 2016
Cost for aluminium railings

How much would cost to put aluminium railing in my front stairs?...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post October 21, 2016
Heating system changing

How much would it cost from changing from hot water radiotor heating to forced air in my 1500 square feet bungalow in Toronto?...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post July 28, 2016
Living room window leaking

Not sure if you can help, have a living room window where my door used to be, wooden frame and all of a sudden, especially with a down pour it has started to leak at the top of the frame, have c...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post July 27, 2016
5% window light rule in basement

I've built a bachelor apt in my basement with a bathroom, kitchen and a living space/bedroom which is 195sq. I'm working on getting a egress window installed that's no problem however the ru...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post July 27, 2016
Combined drainage sump, weeping tile and septic drain

We bought an acreage 7 months or so ago (possession on Nov ), we never looked at the drainage system closely until recently. We noticed some water sitting in our garden and we were worried that our ...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post July 26, 2016
Bad work done

Where can dissatisfied customers write, legally, bad reviews about bad handymen that we can use their name and company's name so they do not ripe-off other people? I read some of the horror e...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post July 28, 2016
Ideas to improve the interior of the house

Hi, We're looking to replace/cover the ugly white board just below the window but not really sure what can be done (maybe the board can be covered with bricks, etc.) A rough esti...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post July 26, 2016
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x