Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
Waterproofing basement

The house is over 100 years old. There is a wall in the basement with water seepage. There is no foundation on the outside of the house as its sitting on a couple feet of rounded stones and then on dirt and und...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post April 4, 2016
Fair price for framing extension and minor renovations?

Hello, I'm building a a two story extension with some minor renovations to existing. I have been quoted 12.50 per square foot (labour). From what I can find this seems unreasonably high. I...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post April 2, 2016
Would finishing basement void terrion warranty?

I would love to finish my basement in the next 3 months. It's a new build but have been told that if anything were to happen it would void my terrion warranty. The house has been up for almost a year now. W...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post April 1, 2016
How much should I charge for cleaning?

I want to start my own house cleaning business. What should I charge?...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post April 1, 2016
Cost for bathroom reno

if I supply all materials and fixtures, what would it cost to have a contractor put in tub, sink, vanity, toilet, floor and shower tiles? Bathroom size approx 144 square feet. Only l...

Number of Responses 8 Date of Last Post March 31, 2016
Cost ready and paint living room?

How much would it cost for labor only, to ready and paint a 20 by 20 living room, including the ceiling?...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post April 4, 2016
Disassembling fireplace

We are trying to remove our gas fireplace and mantel (we have the gas contractor coming to cap off the gas supply on Wednesday). We can't figure out how the insert is fixed to the mantel. Do you ha...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post March 31, 2016
Cost for pool installation

What would be the cost to install an above ground pool, about 18' by 32'?...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post March 28, 2016
Cost to repair ceiling

I have an Orange Peel textured ceiling. There is a 6 ft by 8 ft section that I had to remove the texture from due to an accident. I will tape off the required area for the repair and I am looking for a cost t...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post May 3, 2016
Roofing contractor won't honour written guarantee

I had my roof replaced in the summer and the contractor gave me a written guarantee that he would come back at no cost if anything should happen. Well now I have a leak in my ceiling and I have been trying to g...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post March 29, 2016
Raised footing out of basement floor

Am I able to cut out the raised footing, bottom plate and 2X6's between two posts in order to level out the concrete of the basement floors and install a door for a new bedroom? The 4X6 posts would ...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post March 28, 2016
Cost for garage + loft with washroom

I live in a semi-detached home in the upper beaches. I have a 2 car parking spot in the back accessible via a laneway. I am looking to see if I can build a garage + a room on top of the garage with a washro...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post April 18, 2016
Cost for basement finishing

Hi, I am looking to finish my basement of 600 square feet with a living area, bedroom and full bathroom. I am looking at putting in laminate wood flooring and a set of barn doors between the living room...

Number of Responses 9 Date of Last Post March 31, 2016
How to get carpentry license in Montreal?

Where and how is it that you can get the license for carpentry and cabinet making? Can anybody suggest where to call? Thanks....

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post March 24, 2016
Is it possible to tear down my half of a shared garage?

We live in Toronto a semi and have a shared driveway and detached garage. We're thinking of putting an addition to the back of our home and are considering demolishing the current garage and having an atta...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post March 24, 2016
Exterior foam board - re-siding a home

It's seems to be common practice to install foam board insulation when re-siding a home. I have had the same installation on mine but I am concerned about the issue of a double vapour barrier considering I ...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post March 23, 2016
How much cost to dig existing detached garage?

How much does it cost to dig existing detached double car garage further down about 4.5 feet and to level along the slope out to the driveway? My driveway has a slope. So to level along the driway to in...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post March 22, 2016
Rough estimate for a 10 x 28 2 storey addition

Rough estimate for a 10 x 28 2 storey addition to a one and a half storey detached home. Basically we want to add 10 feet to the back of our home (pic attached). This would involve a kitchen reno on...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post March 23, 2016
Grading + window wells - what is the right cost?

Had a waterproofing company give me a quote for the above jobs. The house is old, so no weeping tiles, I suspect. The work being done is on two sides of the house (north and south). Each sid...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post March 22, 2016
Cantilevered bay window

I would like to expand my kitchen by turning an existing 6' window into a cantilevered bay window, incorporating seating and storage benches. The floor joists have the correct orientation to allow this...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post March 22, 2016
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x