Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
Basement insulation

I am about to finish my basement. The previous owners insulated the foundation walls with fibreglass batt insulation and have subsequently drywalled all the foundation walls. Can I leave this insulation in plac...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post June 17, 2016
Add-on garage to existing bungalow

I own a bungalow and would like to do an add-on to the side of the house where the main entrance is. I want this add- on to service as both a garage used mostly as storage but also as a "mud room" where...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post March 25, 2016
How much would something like this cost?

I found this picture on TrustedPros and may be interested in a similar project but would first like to know what the estimated cost would be....

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post March 22, 2016
Spraying a stucco ceiling

Question about re spraying stucco ceiling. Minor repair. The tape is bubbling. The ceiling has NOT been painted. What is a standard price per sqft. to spray a ceiling? I have the materials and t...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post March 20, 2016
Deposit for eaves replacement

Is it normal for an eaves replacement company to request deposit? I worry about handing over cash before a job. What happens if they just spend it and don't show up? If it's legit and/or nor...

Number of Responses 9 Date of Last Post March 22, 2016
What's a good overhead to add to my invoice?

Just curious when I'm invoicing. I have a job right now doing a landscaping project for $3145.86. The total material cost is $1722+tax with a $100 delivery fee and my labour for the project ...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post June 1, 2018
Need advice from Electrician

Electricity usage is four times higher than usual. Toronto Hydro can't find what is wrong. I am waiting for Measurement Canada to check the meter. Yesterday, I turned all the breakers off and turned th...

Number of Responses 11 Date of Last Post March 22, 2016
Price for painting, drywall and taping

I'm trying to figure out a good price to charge for painting/drywall and taping. Anyone charge similar? Priming: .30/sqft Painting walls: .80 - 1.00 /sqft. Painting Baseboar...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post March 20, 2016
What upgrades would you advise we get through the builder?

Hello all, My parents have recently signed to purchase a new home (in Ontario, Canada) as first-time buyers. We had a structural upgrades meeting with the decor centre (will have a decor ...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post March 23, 2016
Cost for drywall and taping

Hello. I would like my basement drywalled and taped. What do you guys charge per square foot to only install the drywall? A general idea. (basement is empty and newly framed right) What do you...

Number of Responses 13 Date of Last Post April 23, 2016
What do you charge for painting?

Hello. What do you charge per square foot to paint walls only with 2 coats of paint? Some rooms have furniture and some are empty. Is there a price difference with furniture? No priming involved ...

Number of Responses 10 Date of Last Post May 14, 2016
How to align concrete over the plywood

Hi guys, Wanted to seek some advice. I have a plywood floor that has over a apx 1 cm thick cement level. I need to align the floor, move up one side of it apx couple cm up. Is there a way I can b...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post March 18, 2016
Exhaust fan shared by 2 bathrooms

Looking to replace this exhaust fan that is shared by 2 bathrooms with a better unit. The old unit doesn't move air fast enough Thinking of either: a) replace the unit b) install separate e...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post March 18, 2016
Cost of refinishing existing wood baseboards and doors

Hello, I'm interested in a rough quote to refinish (soft sand, touch ups staining and recoat with urethane) old existing wood baseboards, doors and door cases. Thank you. Dragos...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post March 17, 2016
Cost to install a urinal?

Looking to knock out a wall that the bathroom shares with a closet in the other room, close off that closet in the other room and turn that into an area for a urinal. Plumbing would need to be added and I&#...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post March 17, 2016
Changing flat roof to high pitch A-frame roof

What would it cost to convert 3500 SF flat roof to an A-frame type pitched roof? In centre might be room for a small loft....

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post March 15, 2016
Cost of building a one storey addition on 3500 sq ft flat roof building

Thinking of building up one floor on building instead of replacing 3500 SF flat roof, to make a one room loft. Simple structure, with plumbing for a bathroom as only additional feature. Slanted roof f...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post March 17, 2016
Interior renovation cost

Hi, What would be the estimated cost to enclose a foyer/Juliet Balcony, aprox 40sq ft, build a inside wall 8X10 and extend daughters room over this space?...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post March 15, 2016
Ball park price for addition

Looking to cost out a single story addition to a 2 story home, no basement required, approx. 20 x 20. Making space for living area, master bedroom with walk-in closet....

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post March 16, 2016
Cost for basement renovation

How much does it cost roughly to renovate a 1000 square feet basement?...

Number of Responses 9 Date of Last Post March 17, 2016
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x