Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
Average finishing trim price on Vancouver Island for new construction

Looking for approximate costs for trimming out and finishing a new home with 8 single doors. 3 pocket doors, 6 double door closets, 7 1/4 baseboard, 11 windows that average 4x5ft. Trim is 4 1...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post March 11, 2018
Getting ready to sell our townhouse: so what do I need to take care of to pass inspection?

So we are looking to sell our 13 year old townhouse. We are only the 2nd owners, been here 5 years, and want to know what I should have someone look at before listing? I want to make sure we pass in...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post March 13, 2018
What would the average cost be for a 1200 sq ft house, basement and garage?

What would the average cost be for a 1200 sq ft house, basement and garage. I have no idea how to begin but would be nice to know what the cost may be. the lots is just short of 1/2 ace and the land ...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post March 13, 2018
Approx. cost of 10' x 13' deck

What is the approximate cost to have a 10' x 13' deck with railings and a 2-3 step staircase installed? I'm leaning towards using vinyl, but don't know the difference in price from the s...

Number of Responses 8 Date of Last Post March 13, 2018
Average cost to enclose a 10x24 carport in Langley/Vancouver

What would a average price be to do the following - Permits and drawings - Remove existing 320 S.F concrete floor. - Put in footings/foundation - Frame/sheathing/vinyl siding - 2 Man doors and ...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post March 8, 2018
What is the current rate for the installation of cedar shakes?

My company specializes in asphalt shingles, but we've been offered a job involving cedar shakes. One of my employees has installed them before, but I'm not sure what to charge the builder, o...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post March 8, 2018
Dormer addition

I would like to know an estimated cost of adding a 3 piece bathroom which would require a dormer window in a 1.5 store house. Upstairs has 2 bedroom and bathroom with go in between. Dormer is at front of the ho...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post March 8, 2018
Garage to be built in Niagara region

We would like to get a garage built, How much would a 22 x 30 garage cost. We would want a concrete foundation, a double automatic garage door, electrical, 3 windows and a man door. No insulat...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post December 10, 2018
Garage walls bowing out

Purchased a property late November. It appears as the rafters are not supported properly, large crack in cement floor. Now notice the read wall is bowing outwards. Wondering what could be the cause and the ...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post March 6, 2018
Issue with Bath Faucet

The cold water knob (an old fashioned style of separate cold and hot water knobs) in the shower does not turn, even after the knob was replaced two times, it worked for a while, and doesn...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post March 6, 2018
Laminate floor shifting

I installed a laminate floor over a damaged wood floor. The laminate have a backing material on it. The floor is beginning to separate at the seams and I suspect that is sliding on the wood floor. I am going ...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post March 9, 2018
Unnecessary plumbing job

My plumbing backed up to my main floor laundry and kitchen sink in December. I called a plumber to fix it and he replaced a bunch of pipes that he said were clogged, rented a snake and charged $603. Fo...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post March 7, 2018
Experience with Project Management Companies

Looking to hire a project management company for a large scale residential interior refurbishment project. Looking for feedback from contractors who have had experience dealing with 1 or more project managem...

Number of Responses 8 Date of Last Post March 8, 2018
117 Unit Renovations

We are looking at bringing up to date 87 townhouses and 30 apartments over a 4 year period. We will be hiring a project management company to handle the work. The work will involve; flooring, kitchens...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post March 7, 2018
Options for home addition

I live in a 4 level Back split home. I am looking to gain two more bedrooms and a bathroom roughed in downstairs. I would like options and cost proposals, as to how much this may cost. https:/&#...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post March 5, 2018
What can you tell about the condition of this basement by looking at this picture?

I have a picture of my brother's house and he says he has had water in his basement recently. His house was built in 1890 and has a brick foundation. Here's a photo of one of the walls:...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post March 6, 2018
Estimated cost (per linear foot) for exterior waterproofing?

We are thinking of having our basement waterproofed from the exterior when we replace our driveway and back stairs. The house is a 1950s bungalow approx. 25 x 40 ft. I am looking for a "ball park" figur...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post March 4, 2018
Ceramic tile installation

Looking for approx. sq.ft. cost for ceramic tile installation (labour only). Roughly 500 sq. ft. - bathrooms and entryway of a new build in the Burlington, Ontario area...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post March 5, 2018
How much should my Master Bathroom Renovation Cost?

The bathroom is approximately 81 square feet. I need the following work done: Demolition and removal of: tub, shower, toilet, double vanity, tile flooring, drywall. Move plumb...

Number of Responses 11 Date of Last Post March 4, 2018
I found mold in the basement while demolishing walls,what do I do now

We were demolishing original panelling in basement and found mold on drywall, does insurance cover it or are we on our own ...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post March 4, 2018
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x