Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
Slanting garage

Our attached garage has shifted, and is slanting to the front and side. An inspector told us we need to fix it. We are wondering how much re building it would be and would we need a permit to do so? ...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post March 19, 2018
Possible concerns about a deck?

I recently had a new deck built and am seeing things that I'm not sure are correct - hopefully someone can fill me in: The deck has two tiers - the lower tier has a set of stairs down to the walkway - ...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post March 18, 2018
Questioning Contractor's Work - Mistakes

So after evaluating my skill level I determined I was not up to the task of replacing the siding on my house so I hired a contractor, but this did not stop me from looking into the process of siding and fai...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post March 18, 2018
What the exterior wall hieght for two adjacent rooms with different ceiling hieghts?

I have a two adjacent rooms I'm trying to design but one room has 13' ceiling heights and the other is 12' so what would be the height of the exterior wall?...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post March 18, 2018
Should I be concerned that the contractor cut through the outside support beam between the first and second floor?

We are in the process of renovating a 100 year plus Victorian house. This has two floors, a hip roof with a flat top, open concept attic with dormers. We are putting on a new front porch 36 ft x 7 ft...

Number of Responses 9 Date of Last Post March 18, 2018
Can I paint the window ledge or do I have to replace it?

I have a tall skinny window next to my front door that is about 22 inches wide and the inside ledge is quite deep, 4.7 inches. I damaged the ledge by burning rings into the ledge when kept burning candles...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post March 18, 2018
What should I do with a peeling re-glazed bathtub?

My bathtub was re-glazed around 10 years ago and is now peeling. I am torn between replacing the tub, which would be a huge project in an older home, or refitting with a new form over the old tub....

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post March 17, 2018
Painting lino floors

We want to change our kitchen flooring. We have lino right now. We have looked all over for something we like and can't find that perfect thing. Our house is an old Victorian farm house. We have wood fl...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post March 17, 2018
Spacing for closet doors

I'm replacing doors on a closet. It had two bi-fold doors that were an oddball size. Assuming they were trimmed down. I'm redoing the door jam and it has room to go over 48 inches. The plan is to ha...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post March 16, 2018
Hollow ceiling

Is it legal in Ontario to rent out an apartment without any insulation of any kind with a plaster ceiling?...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post March 17, 2018
Having a lein put on our house?

Hi - I've had a terrible contractor experience for a $100k renovation. The work was almost finished and he became extremely verbally abusive with me and also said he didn't work in winter, so wo...

Number of Responses 8 Date of Last Post March 17, 2018
Will I get mold growing in my crawl space?

In my crawl space below my new addition I have a water problem. When building the floor the contractor placed tgi's for floor joists and in between ei put fiberglass insulation. On the underside of the ...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post November 5, 2018
Cost to replace all wirings in an old bungalow house

How much it would cost to replace all wirings in an old bungalow house? It will also involve add recessed lightings, replace the outlet from 2 prongs to 3 prongs, install new outlets....

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post March 18, 2018
Can I use 2 ballasts in a 3 ballasts

Can I use a 2 bulb ballast in a 3 bulb fixture?...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post March 15, 2018
How do I submit plans to build a custom house for city approval?

I want to build my very own custom house... How do i go about getting approved by the city or municipality ?...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post March 15, 2018
Concrete Shower pan

We are remodeling our master shower. There is an existing concrete shower pan, we are unsure if the slope is correct on it. We are wondering if we should rip it out, or if there is a good way to determi...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post March 13, 2018
Adding a basment bathroom

I have an old house in Montreal, with 2.5 bathrooms in the second floor. I would like to add a full bathroom to my basement ideally next to the laundry room. How hard and how expensive would this be knowin...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post March 13, 2018
Cost of refinishing hardwood floor

How much do you think it would cost to sand, stain and refinish hardwood flooring throughout the main level of the home? It's about 650 - 700 square feet of hardwood plus a staircase to the basement...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post March 13, 2018
Cost to redo flooring in basement

In our basement, we are looking into redoing the floors. Right now there is linoleum in 2 of the rooms and A cheaper quality laminate in the extra bedroom and the floors are very cold in winter. As far as w...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post March 13, 2018
Conversion of cold room into bedroom

Can I convert my basement cold room into a bedroom?...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post March 13, 2018
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x