Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
Insulating a 3 season room

Just like those who own green houses and use bubble wrap to provide some measure of insulation factor, I am looking at using the same principle to provide for some insulation for my 3 season sunroom. Right ...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post November 16, 2017
Cost of installing drywall

How much does it cost (only labour) in City of Toronto - remove old plaster drywall, - to insulate, with new 2x4, - and then install new drywalls, -taping, mudding, sand...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post November 6, 2017
Bath tub replacement

We would like to change our bathtub to a deeper tub. How much would this cost?...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post November 7, 2017
Cost for constructing bulkhead

I'm hoping to get a wood frame around the ductwork in my basement. The bulkhead would be 25' by 5'. How much would that likely cost for labour if I would supply any required materials?...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post November 8, 2017
What is the proper way to frame in a basement window?

Hi, I have a basement window I would like to replace. Basement wall is double brick. Do I need to frame in a wooden opening or can it be installed and shimmed right in the masonry? Also if I frame ...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post November 6, 2017
Your thoughts on this situation?

Ok so I recently did a basement project for a customer involving drywall hanging and mudding and painting, after completing the drywall mudding and painting the customer complained about corners that were f...

Number of Responses 8 Date of Last Post November 7, 2017
Basement egress window

Planning to get basement finished. I have 3 basement windows but they're those tiny builder grade windows. I'm going to have a large living room area but no bedrooms. By code do I need to get larger eg...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post November 6, 2017
Drywall finishing pricing

Hi everyone, Just wondering what I should price for drywall finishing side jobs? I'm on Vancouver Island. Thanks, Ryan...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post November 4, 2017
Statutory holdbacks

Maybe someone can help. I understand a hold back being held back for 45 days upon completion of job but we have completed a job over a year ago and we are still waiting for hold back because technically the who...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post November 7, 2017
Tiled shower wall

I need some advice. What is the best way to remove 2 tiles from a finished shower wall?...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post November 8, 2017
Cost to refinish hardwood floors

How much would it cost to sand, stain and finish approx 1000 sq ft of hardwood flooring (living room, dining room, 2 bedrooms and a hallway.)...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post November 2, 2017
Cost for electrical - new build

1400 sqft bungalow Cost for full electrical installation Central Ontario area...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post November 23, 2017
Cost to plumb a new build bungalow

1400sqft 2 bath 1 kitchen 1 laundry 1 wet bar Central Ontario area...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post November 8, 2017
What is the cost to knock down a wall?

I am wondering how much it would cost to knock down a wall. I have 2 small bedrooms side by side and would like to make 1 large one with a bigger clothes closet as well....

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post November 3, 2017
How can I tell treated from untreated lumber?

I have a new deck finished about 4 months ago, there are several boards on the rail that are turning grey and molding while the others have kept the greenish color. These boards were never the green of the...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post November 8, 2017
Insulating a 3 season sunroom

I have a 3 season sunroom that has window openings that are screened with plastic coverings inside. I am thinking about installing in each of the window cavaties an insert made up of frame with three layers of ...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post November 6, 2017
Cost for ensuite remodel for master bedroom in Acton

We just bought the home and the ensuite is to cramped. There is a jacuzzi tub at the end of the room. there is a small shower on the left of the counter and the counter is small because of the shower. we would ...

Number of Responses 8 Date of Last Post November 8, 2017
Replacing a gutter

I just purchased an older home and plan on replacing the roof. However the gutter on one side is not functioning at all. It creates a muddy mess all along the foundation with pools of water and may have added t...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post October 30, 2017
Time it would take for main floor gut reno

I'm trying to get an idea of whether a certain timeline would be possible? I may have an opportunity in the next year to buy a nice but dated 2-story early 1970's home with the hope of completely...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post October 31, 2017
Picking hardwood floor

Hello, I have been searching for a blonde golden oak engineered hardwood floor. Thought it would be easy. Not so! Have found 2 samples I have loved. Each time ordered a box to make sure and see lar...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post October 28, 2017
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x