Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
Course of action for poor workmanship

My contractor has technically completed the work according to the quote provided, but it's not "finished." There are holes in the wall, exposed lath, jagged dry wall, and other issue...

Number of Responses 8 Date of Last Post March 9, 2017
Creating load bearing trusses

This is our attic (1600 sqft bungalow). We want to knock down the main wall and open the place up. I believe based on the attic structure that this main wall is load bearing. Can anything be done in...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post March 11, 2017
Can a home be sold with fuses still installed instead of breakers?

Ive been told the ESA mandates fused panels to be replaced with breakers prior to a sale. Is this true?...

Number of Responses 10 Date of Last Post March 21, 2017
Rate without materials to install baseboards and quarter rounds in Kitchener, Ont

What is the average going rate to install baseboards and quarter rounds per linear foot without materials in Kitchener, ON? Everything basic....

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post March 8, 2017
Insulating vaulted or cathedral ceiling in upper story and a half home

I am renovating a home, currently removed all drywall in the upper story and a half. Cathedrial, True 2x4 construction, 16" centers. They had craft faced insulation directly against the roof sh...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post May 3, 2017
Leaking basement

My basement is leaking but my weeping tiles were done 8 years ago. Can they have failed??...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post March 8, 2017
What is the current rate to install and finish drywall

I was wondering what the current price to hang drywall and finish it to paint ready is in BC? I want to know an approximate market value before hiring a dry wall person to do the work....

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post March 8, 2017
Stucco or brick?

What is more expensive, stucco or brick? Pickering...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post March 8, 2017
How to quote a painting contract

How do I price a painting contract in Kamloops, BC and surounding areas?...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post May 16, 2017
How much would something like this cost?

I found this picture on TrustedPros and may be interested in a similar project but would first like to know what the estimated cost would be....

Number of Responses 8 Date of Last Post March 8, 2017
Do we need to check WSIB and liability insurance of contractor when the work is simple?

I am always having this question myself, here is the scenario, I want to remove the drywall of one of the rooms, if I am hiring contractor to just simply do this, does he need WSIB and liabilit...

Number of Responses 8 Date of Last Post March 8, 2017
Finish basement

How much approximately to finish a basement about 1700 sq ft, 1 3-piece washroom, 1 bedroom, kitchenette, rest would be open space....

Number of Responses 9 Date of Last Post March 8, 2017
Old hardwood floor - install vinyl + carpet?

I have an old house that is probably about a hundred years old. The floors are, I think, the original hardwood, and they are not in great shape. Part of the house is also sagging towards the middle;...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post March 7, 2017
I have edging that has come up

What is a price range to put the edging back into the ground? For example: Is there a basic price per foot?...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post March 6, 2017
The cost to build a house addition of 500 sq ft vs 1000 sq ft

I would like to know the approx. cost to build a home addition of 500 sq ft vs 1000 sq ft. For 500 sq ft, I would like to extend 250 sq ft from the back of my house for both 1st and 2nd floor. For 1...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post March 6, 2017
What to do when there is too much moisture behind shower tiles?

A recent home inspection shows there is higher than normal level of moisture found behind stand up shower tiles, at the bottom section of one side. 1) What are the minimal things that needs to be d...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post March 6, 2017
What's behind my walls?

Hi, Our house is probably around 60-70 years old. We're renovating a basement room that currently has wood paneling attached directly to strapping (no studs!). I pulled off a few panels a...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post March 6, 2017
Remove builder insulation or not? Help!

I am in a new home (since Feb 2010) and looking to finish off my basement. My builder has placed insulation (r12) from ceiling to floor (8ft ceiling). The insulation is a roll and cove...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post March 5, 2017
Deck replacement

I am thinking about replacing an existing wooden deck with new, approximately 12'x17'. What would it cost to do this?...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post March 9, 2017
Converting single car garage to extra living space

Is it possible to convert a single car garage to extra living space without removing the garage door (possibly placing a permanent false wall in front of the garage door on the interior so it still looks li...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post March 5, 2017
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x