Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
Height of flange from floor

How high a flange should be from the tile floor? There is some mold on my subfloor near toilet. Should it cut the piece and replace it or just dry and put the backer and tiles on it?...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post April 8, 2018
Cost for legal basement complete build in Brampton

The area is 500-600sq/ft of unfinished basement. Looking for the complete cost of build. The new built basement should include small kitchen, 2 small bedrooms, full bath, small common room, ...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post September 20, 2020
Cost to get to Framing stage for new build in Toronto

Hi I'm looking for estimates for each of the following stages in Toronto for budgeting purposes: 1. Demolition and removal of existing 900 sq ft bungalow 2. Excavation for 1325 sq ft foundation f...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post April 8, 2018
Warehouse cost per square foot?

I have a warehouse that I am looking to get a floor poured, it is approximately 25,000 ft.² 6 inches thick and I am wondering what a square foot price would be? Requirements: 6 inches thick ...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post September 15, 2018
Basement Framing

Hello, I am looking to insulate my basement, the top half of the basement wall has framing and insulation on it while the bottom half is concrete. Not sure how to go about it, what I would like t...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post April 9, 2018
Licensed Contractor and Correct Insurance

In a dispute between contractor and condo board that has lead to a shit down of renovation project. Hired a contractor to renovate a condo. We have the down payment and work started. Almost two weeks in and ...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post April 7, 2018
Mortar under Becker board

Should I use mortar under the becker board and then screw it or just screws are fine? This is for my washroom floor. The boards are 1/4 inch thick....

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post April 7, 2018
Wax ring or wax-free seal

For the toilet, what would you suggest, the traditional wax ring or one of the wax-free seal? which wax-free seal would you suggest?...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post April 7, 2018
Spray paint for bathtub

Which brand would you suggest for bathtub spray paint cans? ...

Demolition hammer rental

In Brampton, where can I find the small demolition hammer to remove washroom tiles? At home depot its $54 for four hours. Any place with better price? ...

Water leaking in tub

What is the name of this thing that i highlighted in red? Its very old, are these still available? its in the bathtub and leaks when shower is on. ...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post April 7, 2018
Basement floor insulation

Hi, I'm refinishing my basement floor and I'd like some advice on my approach. It's an old house so the floor is not all leveled. Also, it's pretty cold during winter and I decide...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post April 7, 2018
Cost for 2018 large homes build

3000 to 5000 sq ft cost to build on 8900 sq ft lot in South Surrey, BC....

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post April 7, 2018
Cost to install a standard walk-in-closet

I am looking for costs to build a 5x15 walk-in closet (L shape), preferably up to the ceiling (8 feet). Nothing fancy (Ikea-like materials are fine), 5-6 drawers. I am in Toro...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post April 6, 2018
Ballpark price for replacing a wraparound porch on an 1860s house

We are about to buy a home built in the 1860s. We did the home inspection yesterday, and found out that the porch will likely need to be replaced in the next couple of years. We’re amending our offer to ref...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post April 6, 2018
How can I find out what Amps in my house?

Home Insurance company asked me for the Amps for electricity in home. I have no idea how to find out. My house was built in 1989 and I believe that electric panel was never replaced. House is in Brampton. ...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post April 6, 2018
How to connect a kitchen duct to microwave?

I am installing 40" cabinets for my kitchen renovation. As shown in the picture, the opening of the duct to the outside meets the bottom of the cabinet. This duct needs to connect to the microwave in th...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post May 20, 2019
Deck Drawings for customers?

Hey so I'm just wondering can I do a deck drawing for a customer to acquire a permit or does it need to be a professional that does it? Also thinking of building a deck at my house so can I do my own dr...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post April 5, 2018
Whats the cost on installing infrared radiant heat in my shop?

Trying to get a ball park price on installing infrared heat in our shop. The shop is insulated and 70' x 70' with 18' ceiling....

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post April 4, 2018
Unexpected invoice for dumping of fill

I was contacted by a company asking if I would take some topsoil fill from a nearby job they completed. I wasn't near my property or residence at the time but agreed to take the fill. Two months after the...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post April 5, 2018
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x